On-Campus Housing
Sign In Sign Out
18 and Under 19 and Over Families Conferences Account

Housing Guidelines & Policies

Terms and Conditions


  • On-Campus housing is available to admitted Day Continuing BYU students who are enrolled in at least the number of credits hours indicated below (Independent Study credits do not count toward this requirement):
Student Type Fall Semester Winter Semester Spring Term Summer Term
Undergraduate Students 9 credits 9 credits 4 credits 4 credits
Graduate Students 2 credits 2 credits 2 credits 2 credits

  • Admitted Day Continuing BYU students may count BYU Salt Lake Center credits toward the minimum credit hour requirement.
  • Those enrolled in classes as post-baccalaureate, concurrent enrollment, or BGS students may submit a petition to the Housing Review Board requesting eligibility to live on campus. Petitions are reviewed on a case by case basis.
  • Those attending the English Language Center are not admitted to BYU, and are therefore not eligible to live on campus.
  • Those attending the BYU Salt Lake Center, but who are not admitted to BYU, are not eligible to live on campus.


Community Standards Meetings

  • Tenants will likely experience differences in cleanliness, bedtimes, noise levels, type of music listened to, food choices, clothing choices, movies to watch, friends, Sabbath-day worship, room decorations, etc. These differences often become a rewarding educational investment for tenants who are willing to work through conflicts together.
  • In an effort to reduce the potential for conflict, it is important that tenants discuss possible differences and set guidelines before conflict arises.
  • Tenants will have weekly meetings, during which members of the same community (tenants in the same hall or floor) will have the opportunity to talk about issues that may become problems.
  • The purpose of Community Standards meetings is to allow community members the chance to express their expectations of others living in the community and set guidelines for how they will treat and interact with each other.
  • Differences in expectations will be discussed until everyone comes to consensus on appropriate guidelines.
  • Tenants are encouraged to have their own meetings with their roommate(s) on room or apartment concerns.
  • Community members are obligated to uphold these standards and to hold each community member responsible for the standards.
  • Tenants should come each week to their Community Standards meeting prepared to share their opinions, willing to listen to the opinions of others, and ready to work together to reach a consensus.

Disruptive Behavior

  • Tenants should feel comfortable in their room and residence hall.
    • Excessive noise, disturbing the peace, and disruptive behavior are all inappropriate actions.
  • Examples of disruptive behavior include pranks; snowball, water, pillow, paint ball or food fights; and in-line skating, roller-skating, skateboarding, long boarding, and hover boarding.
  • Tenants who persist in such behavior could be asked to change rooms, transfer to another housing area, or leave On-Campus Housing. They may also be referred to the Honor Code office.
  • Tenants may be requested to leave the university if their behavior could result in injury to themselves or others.
  • Normally, tenants who have been asked to leave BYU as a result of disciplinary action must leave housing within 72 hours after notification by the Honor Code Office or area management. However, in some cases, they may be required to leave sooner.

Quiet Hours

  • Each floor/apartment has the opportunity to establish quiet hours through community standards. However, quiet hours are in effect 24 hours a day during Exam Preparation Days and Final Exam Days.


  • Tenants are welcome to bring entertainment equipment for their room or apartment, but consideration should be taken in keeping the volume at a level that will not disturb other tenants.
  • Outside antennas are not permitted.
  • Tenants should be aware that copyright laws prohibit showing video or DVD movies in common areas in or around the residence halls.
  • Tampering with or altering university audiovisual equipment, including cable, is prohibited.

Apartment Guidelines and Care

Room Decorations

  • Decorations should not be hung on the outside of windows or buildings, on the ceiling, or on window coverings. Fire code allows up to 25% of the entire door to be covered with decorations. Tenants should make sure that decorations can be easily removed (i.e. no paint, stickers, or contact paper). Tenants are responsible for any damages.
  • Helaman Halls: While decorating their room, tenants may use 3M Command hooks, white removable mounting adhesive such as Plasti-Tak, and provided bulletin boards and tack strips. Tenants shouldn’t use nails, tacks, tape, or other types of adhesives.
  • Heritage Halls, Wyview Park, and Foreign Language Student Residence: While decorating rooms, tenants may use nails and white removable mounting adhesive such as Plasti-Tak. An apartment can only have six nail holes per room (including nails already present when tenants move in). Tenants will be charged a repair fee for each additional hole when they move out. Tenants shouldn’t use other types of adhesives, including 3M Command hooks.

Apartment Checks

  • Each month, Residence Life staff will do apartment/room checks to help tenants ensure proper care and upkeep. Improper care may result in referral to area management, cleaning charges, or both.


  • Tenants are welcome to rearrange the furniture in their room to suit their taste as long as the arrangement is deemed safe by their hall advisor. Tenants shouldn’t move furniture out of their room or commons rooms. Beds can only be elevated on supports provided by housing. Tenants may not move appliances.

Pets and Animals

  • Pets and animals of any kind (including fish) are not allowed in the residence halls. The only exceptions are special assistance animals for tenants with disabilities, or fish for certain biology classes. There is a $50 per animal per day charge for unauthorized animals and rental agreements may be terminated.
  • Tenants who need to keep fish for a class must receive prior approval from their hall advisor, and they may keep the fish only until their assignment is complete.
  • Here is a link where more information about special assistance animals may be found.


  • Although tenants’ parents' homeowners insurance may cover tenants’ personal belongings while they are at school, BYU recommends that tenants purchase renter's insurance.
  • The university does not accept responsibility for personal belongings that are damaged or stolen in the residence halls.

Objectional Material

  • On-Campus Housing supports the CES Honor Code. Anything deemed by a hall advisor or other housing official to be objectionable, obscene or disruptive is not allowed in the residence halls. Tenants can request at the U.S. Post Office that objectionable material not be delivered to their mailbox.

Recreational Activities

Sunbathing and Attire

  • Tenants are welcome to sunbathe in designated areas Monday-Saturday. Tenants should see their hall advisor for information about these areas. Tenants shouldn’t use BYU bedding or furniture for sunbathing.
  • Attire must be modest in fit and style. See-through suits, cut-offs, bikinis, and men's Speedos are not permitted. All swimsuits and other clothing with straps or ties are to remain fastened or tied while sunbathing.

Community Facilties

  • Community areas in the residence halls are for tenants to enjoy. Tenants should clean up after themselves and leave facilities ready for others to use. Tenants will be charged for any repairs or cleaning due to damage or littering. Furniture, including cushions and microwaves, should be left in the lounges.
  • Items left beyond the contract period will be turned over to BYU Lost and Found or taken to Deseret Industries. Tenants will be charged daily room rates until all personal items are out of their room or storage area. Tenants are welcome to leave their things in their room during Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks, but they shouldn’t store their friends' belongings.


  • Gambling is not permitted in the residence halls.

Soliciting and Personal Business


  • Advertising, door-to-door sales, sales presentations, and collection drives are not permitted in university housing.

Personal Business

  • Operating a business based from an apartment/room is prohibited. Use of a residence hall address for business purposes is not permitted. Tenant’s should contact their area management for further clarification.

Parking, Transportation, and Getting around Campus


  • For the protection of tenants, bikes must be registered with the BYU Traffic Office.
  • Bikes may only be locked to approved bike racks.
  • Tenants should not store their bike in their room or in the stairwells.
  • Limited indoor bike storage is available. Tenants should contact their area front desk for more information.
  • Bikes left after the contract period will be turned over to University Police.

BYU Bike Sharing


  • Vehicles must be registered online with the BYU Parking Services Office or risk being ticketed. Here is a link with further instructions regarding BYU Parking.
  • Prospective tenants should be aware that there is no on-site parking available at Heritage Halls. Students who believe they must have a vehicle at school may want to consider living at Helaman Halls or Wyview Park, where on-site parking is available. If Heritage Halls is still the favorite option, off-site parking is provided at a designated lot; although this lot is on campus, it is not in the immediate vicinity of Heritage Halls. Here is a link leading to a map of Heritage Halls Parking Locations. Heritage Halls tenants do not need to pay to park in the designated off-site parking.
  • For the Traffic Office hours and more information regarding guest and temporary parking, see the BYU Traffic Office website, or contact them directly at (801) 422-3906.

Servicing Vehicles

  • Tenants shouldn’t service their vehicle in the housing parking lots. This includes changing oil or mechanical repairs.
  • Tenants will be charged for any damages they incur to the parking lot.

The Ryde Shuttle

  • Student Movement Inc., a private company, offers the Ryde shuttle from Wyview Park and the FLSR to the Museum of Art (MOA) in the core of campus.
  • This shuttle runs during the day, Monday through Friday.
  • Here is a link for more information about The Ryde.


  • The Utah Valley Express, or UVX for short, is a bus rapid transit (BRT) line similar to TRAX that features articulated buses that reduce travel times by using exclusive bus lanes and traffic signal priority.
  • UVX features:
    • 18 stations.
    • 51 percent exclusive bus lanes.
    • Up to 18 buses on the road at one time.
    • Six minute frequency during morning and evening commute times, ten minutes during the day, and 15–60 minutes in the early morning and late evening.
  • BYU Students may ride the UVX at no charge.
  • Here is a link for more information about UVX.

BYU Car Sharing

  • BYU has teamed up with Enterprise CarShare to give students the ability to travel outside of Provo, take a last minute road trip, run errands, or visit friends without having their own car.
  • Here is a link for more information about BYU Car Sharing.


Missing Persons

  • Tenants in on-campus housing are encouraged to provide the name and contact information of a parent or custodial guardian in myBYU Personal Information. The Office of Residence Life will notify University Police within 24 hours of determining a student is missing. All official missing student reports will be referred to the University Police immediately. The university will also notify the person identified in myBYU Personal Information as the Emergency or Missing Person Contact, the parent or custodial guardian of students under 18 years of age, or both within 24 hours after determining a student is missing.
  • Students who believe a student is missing should immediately alert one of the following:
    • University Police Department
    • A Residence Life Hall Advisor
    • Dean of Students' Office
    • Office of Residence Life or any of the housing complex central buildings

Doors and Keys

  • For tenants’ safety and privacy, the residence halls doors at Helaman Halls and Heritage Halls are locked 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • FLSR commons rooms are locked each night after visiting hours and opened again the next morning at 8 am.
  • Residence Hall outer doors at Helaman Halls can be opened by card access, and room doors are opened with a key. At Heritage Halls, room keys open bedroom doors and card access opens apartment doors and Residence Hall outer doors. Tenants of the FLSR and Wyview Park have keys that open their apartment doors only.
  • Tenants who lose their ID card should immediately deactivate the card through myBYU. Tenants who are unable to log in to myBYU should report their card lost at the ID Center, 1057 WSC, 801-422-5092.
  • Tenants who lose their key should notify their hall advisor as soon as possible. A charge for re-keying will be assessed for all lost keys or keys not returned upon termination of the Agreement.
  • All tenants should keep their apartment and room door(s) locked and carry their keys at all times.
  • Tenants should never duplicate or loan their key or card to anyone.
  • Tenants should never prop open an outside door or prevent doors from locking.
  • The university is not liable for any damaged or missing items.
  • Tenants should report any problems to university police and to their hall advisor immediately.

Building Safety

  • Tenants shouldn’t force the windows open beyond the locking mechanisms, or tamper with the locks or screens.
  • For privacy and safety reasons, Helaman Halls tenants are not allowed to converse through first floor windows.
  • Tenants shouldn’t go onto the ledges or roofs. This is considered trespassing, and carries a minimum $50 fine.
  • Tenants shouldn’t abuse the elevators. Any violation will result in assessment for service and repair.


  • Guns and other weapons, such as large knives, bows and arrows, swords (including decorative weapons), and paint guns are not allowed on campus.
  • Any firearms, pellet guns, BB and paint guns, wrist rockets, slingshots, and other similar items, as well as ammunition, cannot be stored in the apartment.
  • Violators will be referred to the University Police and the Honor Code Office, and their rental agreement will be jeopardized.

Student Health Center

Fire Regulations

  • Fire regulations are designed to protect people and facilities. Rooms will be checked periodically to make sure there are no hazards. Any violators will be disciplined on the first offense, and could be asked to leave housing. Those responsible for setting off false alarms or vandalizing fire equipment will be referred to the University Police and could be asked to leave the University.
  • Helaman Halls and Heritage Halls apartments are equipped with a sprinkler for the purpose of fire suppression. The sprinkler is triggered when a heat sensitive chemical expands and breaks a glass tube in the sprinkler head. It will not activate from the presence of smoke alone. It could however, activate if tampered with. Tenants should not hit, hang on, or fasten items to any part of the sprinkler. Tenants could be held responsible for damage resulting from tampering or inappropriate use of the fire sprinkler suppression system. The University is not responsible for any damages or losses which occur because a sprinkler is activated for any reason.

Smoke Detectors and Fire Alarms

  • Smoke detectors should not be covered or blocked. Tenants shouldn’t remove the smoke detector or take the batteries out. Tenants whose smoke detector "chirps" should call Auxiliary Maintenance at 801-422-4411. To replace batteries, Tenants should contact their RA.
  • Fire extinguishers are generally located in apartments, corridors, and lobbies, and in the stairwells of Wyview Park. At the beginning of the semester, resident assistants will instruct tenants in the proper use of the fire extinguisher. Tenants who need to use a fire extinguisher to put out a small fire should notify their hall advisor immediately so the extinguisher can be recharged.


  • Tenants should review the fire escape route so they will be prepared for an emergency evacuation. To practice emergency evacuation, tenants will participate in fire drills at least once a semester or term.
  • Any time tenants hear the fire alarm, they should:
    1. Close their windows and door.
    2. Wear their shoes.
    3. Take their room key and ID card.
    4. Walk or crawl (if there is smoke) to the nearest exit.
    5. Use the stairway, not elevators, to leave.
    6. Tenants shouldn’t go back into the building until their residence hall staff, a fire officer, or a police officer says it's safe to do so.

Initial Response

  • Tenants who find a fire should:
    1. Sound the alarm.
    2. Leave the building. Tenants should try to rescue others only if they can do so safely. Tenants should move away from the building to the designated area.
    3. Call the Fire Department. Dial 911 and give as much information as possible.
    4. Tenants shouldn’t try to put out a serious fire themselves. Tenants should leave the building and wait for the fire department.
  • To contact BYU University Police tenants should dial 801-422-2222. For emergencies tenants should dial 911.


  • Small appliances are not allowed in the bedrooms. Space heaters and refrigerators are not allowed in the bedrooms/apartments, with the exception of refrigerators provided by the university. On-Campus Housing recommends that UL approved irons and popcorn poppers be used in designated areas.
  • Tenants who need to use extension cords should keep the number to a minimum, only using extension cords in good condition. Frayed or worn cords are dangerous.

Fire Hazards

  • Incense, candles, or any open flames are not allowed in the residence halls. Candle warmers are allowed. Barbecues are only permitted in designated areas.
  • Tenants shouldn't store excess paper or other flammable products. Christmas trees must be artificial and treated with a flame retardant.
  • Tenants shouldn't prop doors open, and they should keep exits and corridors clear.


  • University Policy prohibits fireworks or other explosive devices in tenants’ rooms or around the halls at any time.


  • Visitors may not be in the building after visiting hours.
  • Residential Living Standards in the CES Honor Code dictate the following visiting guidelines for BYU students living both on and off campus:
    • Visitors of the opposite sex may not be in the bedrooms or bathrooms. Visitors may use the guest restrooms located in the lobbies and common areas.
    • All visitors must comply with the Residential Living Standards while on the premises of student housing.
    • Tenants are responsible for the behavior of their guests at all times.
  • Helaman Halls has an open house on Wednesdays and Sundays from 7:00 pm until 9:00 pm.
  • In all other cases, visiting hours are as found below:

Helaman Halls Visiting Hours

Lobby Hours
Saturday-Thursday 8:00 am - Midnight
Friday 8:00 am - 1:30 am
Basement Room Hours
Everyday 7:00 pm - 10:00 pm
David John Hall Day Room Hours
Everyday 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Heritage Halls Visiting Hours

Apartment Hours
Saturday-Thursday 9:00 am - Midnight
Friday 9:00 am - 1:30 am
Lobby and Common Room Hours
Saturday-Thursday 8:00 am - Midnight
Friday 8:00 am - 1:30 am

Wyview Park Visiting Hours

Apartment Hours
Saturday-Thursday 9:00 am - Midnight
Friday 9:00 am - 1:30 am

Guest Policy

  • A guest is an individual who is sponsored by a tenant to stay overnight.
  • Tenants under the age of 18 may not host a guest.
  • Tenants 18 years of age or older may host one guest at a time with approval of their Hall Advisor and roommates. Prior to the agreement start date, during finals, and during check-outs, guests are not permitted without hall advisor or manager approval.
    • Tenants must complete a "Guest Registration Form" prior to the guest’s arrival. This form is submitted to the Hall Advisor and must include the signature of all roommates.
    • The guest may stay in the hall or apartment up to three consecutive nights.
    • The guest must comply with the Residential Living Standards while on the premises of student housing.
    • Tenants are responsible for the behavior of their guest at all times.
    • All overnight guests must be 18 years of age or older and are required to present identification.
  • Tenants who fail to register their guest will be charged a $40 per night "unregistered guest" fee.
  • Tenants may not alter furniture, and mattresses may not be placed on the floor to accommodate a guest.



  • Brigham Young University (BYU) is committed to accommodating tenants with disabilities who require the assistance of Service, Therapy/Emotional Support, and Assistance Animals in a reasonable manner; however, the university is also mindful of the health and safety concerns of the campus community. Thus, the university must balance the need of the individual with the disability with the potential impact of such animals on other campus patrons.
  • The University Accessibility Center (UAC) personnel are responsible for implementing this policy and for assisting tenants with disabilities to document their specific need for an accommodation. The successful implementation of the policy requires the cooperation of all students, faculty, and staff.



  • "Disability" is defined as a physical or mental condition or impairment that is medically cognizable, and diagnosable, and that substantially limits one or more of a person's major life activities. These limitations may include: caring for oneself, performing manual tasks, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, working, and learning. A person is substantially limited in major life activities if the individual is unable to perform the activity, or is significantly restricted as to the manner in which he or she can perform that activity when compared to the average person.

Service Animal

  • A "Service Animal" is a dog (or in some instances a miniature horse) individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. These tasks include but are not limited to: guiding individuals with impaired vision, alerting individuals who are hearing impaired to intruders or sound, providing minimal protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, or fetching dropped items.

Service Animal in Training

  • A "Service Animal in Training" is a dog which is being trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability. Individuals who desire an accommodation for a Service Animal in Training must demonstrate that there is a proper training plan designed to work for the benefit of an individual with a disability. They must also abide by all relevant provisions of this policy. An animal being trained to be a Service Animal has all the same rights as a fully trained animal when accompanied by a trainer and identified as such.

Therapy/Emotional Support Animal

  • A "Therapy/Emotional Support Animal" is an animal selected to play an integral part of a person's treatment process. That animal should demonstrate a good temperament and reliable, predictable behavior. A Therapy/Emotional Support Animal is prescribed to an individual with a disability by a healthcare or mental health professional. A Therapy/Emotional Support Animal is not a Service Animal. Unlike a Service Animal, a Therapy/Emotional Support Animal does not assist a person with a disability with activities of daily living, nor does it accompany a person with a disability at all times. A Therapy/Emotional Support Animal, however, may be incorporated in a treatment process to assist in alleviating the symptoms of that individual's disability. This treatment occurs within the person's residence and, therefore, may be considered for access to university housing.

Assistance Animal

  • As reflected in the Fair Housing Act, an "Assistance Animal" is an animal which is necessary for a person with a disability for that person’s use and enjoyment of a residential dwelling place. Under this policy, an Assistance Animal may also qualify as either a Service Animal or a Therapy/Emotional Support Animal.


  • A pet is an animal kept for ordinary use and companionship. A pet is not considered a Service Animal, a Therapy/Emotional Support Animal, or an Assistance Animal, and, therefore, it is not covered by this policy. Tenants are not permitted to keep pets on university property or in university housing.

Owner Responsibilities

  • Care and Supervision: Care and supervision of the animal are the responsibility of the tenant who benefits from the animal's use. The tenant is required to maintain control of the animal at all times, where consistent with the capacity of the Service Animal user. The tenant is also responsible for ensuring the cleanup of the animal's waste and, when appropriate, must toilet the animal in areas designated by the university consistent with the reasonable capacity of the owner.
  • Vaccination: In accordance with local ordinances and regulations the animal must be immunized against diseases common to that type of animal. Dogs must have current vaccination against rabies and wear a rabies vaccination tag. Although not mandated, cats should have the normal shots required for a healthy animal. Local licensing requirements are followed.
  • Health: Animals, other than cats and dogs, to be housed in university housing must have an annual clean bill of health from a licensed veterinarian. Documentation can be a vaccination certificate for the animal or a veterinarian's statement regarding the animal's health. The university has authority to direct that the animal receive veterinary attention. (Local licensing law is followed.)
  • Licensing: Utah County, including the City of Provo, requires all dogs four (4) months or older to be licensed. Dogs must wear license tags at all times. The tags verify that the shots (rabies, etc.) required by law have been given.
  • Training: Service Animals must be properly trained. However, proof of training is not required.
  • Permissible Inquiries: BYU staff may ask only two questions of patrons regarding Service Animals: (1) is the dog (or horse) a Service Animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog (or horse) been trained to perform?
  • Leash: If appropriate the animal (dog) must be on a leash, unless the leash would inhibit the animal's ability to be of service. In such a case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.
  • Safety Plan: For the safety of each animal, each animal owner who qualifies to keep an animal in university housing should create a safety plan. Creation of the safety plan can be accomplished by filling out the Safety Plan form (provided by Residence Life) and then filing a copy of the plan with Residence Life.
  • Other Conditions: The UAC or Residence Life may place other reasonable conditions or restrictions on the animals depending on the nature and characteristics of the animal.

Community Responsibilities

  • Members of the university community are prohibited from:
    • Preventing Service Animals to accompany their owners at all times and in all places on campus, except where animals are specifically prohibited.
    • Touching or petting a Service or Therapy/Emotional Support Animal unless invited to do so.
    • Feeding a Service or Therapy/Emotional Support Animal.
    • Deliberately startling a Service or Therapy/Emotional Support Animal.
    • Separating or to attempting to separate owners from their Service or Therapy/Emotional Support Animals.
    • With the exception of the University Accessibility Center and Residence Life officials, inquiring for details about the owner's disabilities. The nature of a person's disability is a private matter.

Animal Removal

  • The university may exclude/remove any animal when it:
    • Poses a direct threat to the health or safety of others.
    • Results in a fundamental alteration of the university's program. In university housing units, a fundamental alteration may occur if the animal’s behavior prevents other tenants from enjoying full use of the property (e.g., through frequent barking).

Animal Damages

  • Owners of animals are solely responsible for any damage to persons or university property caused by their animals.

Off-Limit Areas

  • The university may prohibit the use of Service Animals in certain locations due to health and safety restrictions (e.g., where the animals may be in danger, or where their use may compromise the integrity of research).
  • Restricted areas may include, but are not limited to:
    • Custodial closets.
    • Boiler rooms.
    • Facility equipment rooms.
    • Research laboratories.
    • Classrooms with research/demonstration animals.
    • Areas where protective clothing is necessary.
    • Wood and metal shops.
    • Motor pools.
    • Rooms with heavy machinery and areas outlined in state law as being inaccessible to animals.
  • Exceptions to restricted areas may be granted on a case-by-case basis by contacting the University Accessibility Center and the appropriate department representative; however, the person directing the restricted area has the final decision.

Approval Process

Service or Therapy/Emotional Support

  • Service and therapy/emotional support animals may not reside in University housing without expressed approval of university officials. Such requests should be processed as follows:
    1. Unless the need for a Service Animal is readily apparent, tenants desiring the assistance of a Service Animal to use university facilities and services must provide verification to the University Accessibility Center that they have a qualifying disability and that the Service Animal is needed for the use and enjoyment of university facilities and services. The tenant’s health care provider, who is qualified to make the requested assessment, must submit a signed letter on professional letterhead expressing the following:
    2. The provider's diagnosis of the person's condition.
    3. The provider's opinion that the condition affects a major life activity.
    4. The provider's professional opinion that the Service Animal is used to help with the tenant’s daily living activities and is necessary to use and enjoy university facilities and services.
    5. The provider's description of what service(s) the animal will specifically provide.
    6. Any additional rationale or statement the university may reasonably need to understand the basis for the professional opinion.
    7. Before bringing an authorized animal into on-campus housing, the tenant must contact the manager of the appropriate housing area to schedule a 30 minute visit and complete the Residence Life Safety Plan.

Assistance Animals

  • Service and therapy/emotional support animals may not reside in University housing without expressed approval of university officials. Such requests should be processed as follows:
    1. Unless the need for a Service Animal is readily apparent, an Assistance Animal may not reside in university housing without expressed approval of university officials. Such requests should be processed as follows:
    2. A tenant requesting an Assistance Animal must provide the University Accessibility Center with appropriate documentation at least 30 days before prospective housing will be needed. The university requires a 30-days’ notice period in order to do its due diligence by gathering and verifying the necessary documentation for the tenant. This documentation includes, but is not limited to: verification of a disability, the determination of any conflicting disabilities in the immediate vicinity where the animal will be housed, and verification of all vaccinations and the health of the animal including all the necessary licensing. If documentation is immediately available, the time for the approval process may be shortened.
    3. Documentation of the need for an Assistance Animal should include a signed letter, on professional letterhead, from the tenant’s physical or mental healthcare provider or licensed therapist (see template letter below). The provider or therapist should be familiar with the professional literature concerning the assistive and/or therapeutic benefits of assistance animals for people with disabilities. At a minimum, the letter should include:
      • The provider's diagnosis of the person's condition.
      • The provider's opinion that the condition affects a major life activity.
      • The provider's opinion that the Assistance Animal is necessary to help alleviate symptoms associated with the person's condition and/or to help the person use and enjoy university housing services.
      • The provider's description of the service(s) that the animal will provide.
      • Any additional rationale or statement the university may reasonably need to understand the basis for the professional opinion.
      • Before bringing an authorized animal into on-campus housing, the tenant must contact the manager of the appropriate housing area to schedule a 30 minute visit and complete the Residence Life Safety Plan.
  • The University Accessibility Center staff members will review documentation, and, if the UAC determines that a qualifying disability exists, they will forward a recommendation to Residence Life. Residence Life will make the final determination and will notify the student.

Sample Letter from a Service Provider:


Name of Professional (therapist, physician, psychiatrist, rehabilitation counselor)
XXX Road
City, State Zip

Dear [University Accessibility Center]:

[Full Name of Tenant] is my patient, and has been under my care since [date]. I am familiar with his/her history and with the functional limitations imposed by his/her disability.

Due to the ______________ disorder, [first name] has certain limitations regarding [social interaction/coping with stress/anxiety, etc.]. In order to help alleviate these difficulties, and to enhance his/her ability to live independently and to use fully and enjoy the university owned and administered housing unit, I am prescribing an animal that will assist [first name] in coping with his/her disability. It is anticipated that the animal will assist [first name] in the following manner:

I am competent to make an assessment regarding the assistive and/or therapeutic benefits of assistance animals for people with disabilities such as that experienced by [first name]. Upon request, I would be happy to answer questions you may have concerning my recommendation that [Full Name of Tenant] have an assistance animal. Should you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.


Name of Professional


Questions or concerns related to animal policies should be addressed to the UAC:

Address: University Accessibility Center (UAC)
2170 WSC
Provo, UT 84602-7920
Phone Number: (801)422-2767
Fax: (801)422-0174
Email: uacfrontdesk@byu.edu